February 7, 2012

A Crafty Edible Valentine

Pin It
Margaret's Morsels | Candy Cane Lollipops

When my son was in preschool, I'd help him make heart shaped Valentine cards for his classmates using two candy canes.  You can take the idea a step further and put the candy canes on a lollipop stick, use melted chocolate to hold everything together and decorate it with Valentine sprinkles.

Start by putting two mini candy canes together in a heart shape on a piece of parchment paper.  Leave enough space at the bottom of the candy canes to insert a lollipop stick. 


Margaret's Morsels | Candy Cane Lollipops
Stagger the candy canes so there's
room for the lollipop sticks.

Center the lollipop stick at the top of the candy canes where the two pieces meet.  Once the stick is centered on the top, slide the bottom of the candy canes over until they touch the lollipop stick.


Margaret's Morsels | Candy Cane Lollipops

Normally when I melt chocolate, I use a 1 1/2-quart crock-pot so I don't have to keep remelting the chocolate.  However, I'm usually coating cookies or chocolate covered cherries or making candy molds, all of which are more time consuming.  Filling the candy cane hearts with melted chocolate is quick so I use the microwave to melt the chocolate.

Spoon the chocolate into the heart shaped opening -- I fill one side at a time -- being careful not to overfill.  If any chocolate gets on the candy canes, gently wipe it off with a paper towel.


Margaret's Morsels | Candy Cane Lollipops

Let the chocolate set a minute or two and then decorate the top with Valentine sprinkles.


Margaret's Morsels | Candy Cane Lollipops

Let the lollipops dry completely on the parchment paper.  Once they're dry, put them in lollipop treat bags and tie the bags closed with ribbon or, what I like to use, raffia.


Margaret's Morsels | Candy Cane Lollipops

Candy canes are the essential ingredient for this recipe.  If you don't have any, keep the idea in mind for next year.  I'll even post a reminder blog in December so you can stock up on candy canes.  If you're lucky enough to have some candy canes on hand, the recipe is quick and easy to make and, unlike a card, is edible. 


Candy Cane Lollipops
6 Servings

12 mini candy canes
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1 1/2 tsp. vegetable oil
Valentine sprinkles

Put the candy canes in a heart shape on parchment paper.  Insert a lollipop stick, making sure to slide the bottom part of the candy canes over so they touch the stick.  Melt the chocolate chips and oil in a microwave until melted, stirring at 15 second intervals.  Spoon the chocolate mixture into the heart shape opening and decorate the top with sprinkles.  Let dry completely.  Place each lollipop into a lollipop size treat bag and tie closed with ribbon or raffia.


© Margaret's Morsels



18 comments:

  1. Thanks! The white chocolate and peppermint are a wonderful combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are cute and a great way to use candy canes left over from Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Shelby! I've never been a fan of white chocolate, but I love it paired with the peppermint in the candy canes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome. Thanks for hosting the linky party, Cathy:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! I wish my daughter was still young enough for these. Thanks for linking to the In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party. Hope to see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the same boat; my son is 16. These are great for a church candy sale close to Valentine's Day:) I hope to be at your party every week.

      Delete
  6. Thanks, Renee! I've got another Valentine's Day idea I'm hoping to share if I can get it together. Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You brought the cutest thing to our party! Thank you. Pinned and tweeted. We feel honored that you take the time to stop by our party. I hope to see you on tonight at 7 pm. We love to party with you! Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Kimberly! Thanks for hosting the party. I hope to stop by your party again. Have a good week:)

      Delete
  8. These valentine's day lollipops are such a great idea!
    TFS this at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
    We hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Marilyn! Thanks for hosting the party so I could share this post. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is SUCH a cute idea!

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great way to use candy canes left over from Christmas! Thanks for lending your creativity to the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop! I also pinned this to the Thursday Favorite Things Pinterest Board.

    Shellie
    www.thefabjourney.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shellie! Thanks for hosting the blog hop. I know they are a lot of work!

      Delete