March 21, 2016

Hop Into Easter

Pin It
Margaret's Morsels | Marshmallow Peeps Easter Cake

A few years ago, a cousin emailed me pictures of a cake she'd made for Easter.  The cake was so cute, I knew I wanted to make it for Easter, but I didn't know when.  My family was disappointed the year before when I replaced our traditional bunny cake with a carrot cake.  I knew I couldn't replace the bunny cake two years in a row, so I filed the idea away until one Easter when we were having enough company I needed two desserts.

The cake isn't a recipe, but a method.  Start by making a two layer cake, either from scratch or a mix.  Fill and frost the layers with white icing such as buttercream or cream cheese.


Margaret's Morsels | Marshmallow Peeps Easter Cake

I think the cake would also look pretty with pastel pink or yellow icing. Although chocolate icing would be tasty, I don't think the decorations would stand out as well as they do on a lighter color icing.

When the cake is frosted, decorate the sides with marshmallow peep bunnies.  The year I made the cake, the hardest part was finding all the different colored bunnies!  I found pink and blue at Kroger, purple at CVS and green at Rite Aid.  The bunnies aren't quite tall enough to cover both layers.


Margaret's Morsels | Marshmallow Peeps Easter Cake



You can decorate the sides with just the bunnies, or add some pastel color M&M's above or below the bunnies.  I found it easier and faster to put the candy above the bunnies.



Margaret's Morsels | Marshmallow Peeps Easter Cake



The top is decorated with more pastel M&M's.  My cousin piled the candy all over the top, but I used it sparingly.  I also like to turn the candies over so the "m" doesn't show.


Margaret's Morsels | Marshmallow Peeps Easter Cake


This cake is easy to make, quick to assemble and a festive ending to an Easter meal.  Easter is less than a week away, but there's still time to find the bunnies before they hop out of the store.


© Margaret's Morsels

23 comments:

  1. What a cute idea and easy enough to have little hands damage it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda! This is a great cake to let little hands help decorate.

      Delete
  2. I love your pretty cake all decorated with the peeps for Easter.
    TFS this at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! Thanks for hosting all the great parties! I hope you have a good week.

      Delete
  3. This cake is adorable!!! I want to make it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! It is really easy to make. I used a cake mix and canned frosting. If you've got kids, it's fun to let them help decorate the cake.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely decorating job! The colors are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jordan! I just love pastel colors at Easter.

      Delete
  5. Oh this is just too cute! :)

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess! It's really easy to make and nice to let kids help decorate. Thanks for hosting the party. I hope you have a great week.

      Delete
  6. What a cute cake, my kids would love it! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy! Thanks for hosting the party! I hope you have a good week.

      Delete
  7. Thanks, Marilyn! I can't take credit for the idea. It's just my interpretation of the cake made by my cousin. I hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Margaret the cake is really cute, love the candies and peeps in the decorations. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop, pinning and tweeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Swathi! I love pastel colors so this cake really appeals to me. Thanks for sharing, pinning and tweeting! I hope you have a good week.

      Delete
  9. What a pretty cake for Easter! Thank you for sharing it with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, April! Thank you for hosting the party. I hope you have a great week.

      Delete
  10. I still have so many Peeps! This is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Adelina! The peeps sure do make a colorful cake! Thanks for writing.

      Delete
  11. This is such a great way to use those leftover peeps! Cute cake! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites. I'm featuring you this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jerri! The peeps certainly make a colorful cake. Thanks for featuring me on Friday Favorites!!!!

      Delete