January 28, 2014

Marvelous Meat Loaf

Pin It
Margaret's Morsels | Sweet and Sour Meat Loaf

A couple of years ago, my brother, who was visiting from out of town, was sitting in the kitchen while I fixed supper.  He asked what I was cooking and I replied, "Meat loaf."  He was silent for a moment and then asked, "Are you using mom's recipe?"  I laughed and told him I wasn't.  From my peripheral vision, I detected a sigh of relief.  Our mother was a wonderful cook, but there were two dishes she made that left a lot to be desired. One was macaroni and cheese; the other, meat loaf.

After I got married, I tried numerous meat loaf recipes and, although more flavorful than what my mother used to make, none were good enough to earn a regular rotation on our dinner table.

Ten years ago, after I got home from having surgery, a friend brought us a delicious dinner that included meat loaf.  It was the best meat loaf I'd ever eaten!  She shared the recipe with me and I've been making it ever since. I still remember how nourishing that meat loaf was to both body and soul so, when my husband had surgery last week and asked me to make meat loaf for him post op, how could I refuse?

Sweet and Sour Meat Loaf uses a lot of the same ingredients as my mother's recipe.  So why was my friend's meat loaf better?  Like most food, personal preference plays a role, but it also comes down to what is and isn't in the meat loaf.  Let's look at the anatomy of a meat loaf.
  • Meat:  The main ingredient is ground meat.  The meat can be beef, pork, turkey, lamb or a combination of meats.

Margaret's Morsels | Sweet and Sour Meat Loaf

  • Vegetables:  Chopped onion, green pepper, celery, carrots, mushrooms or canned diced tomatoes are common additions. They add flavor and, depending on the size, texture.

   
Margaret's Morsels | Sweet and Sour Meat Loaf


  • Liquid:  Liquid is needed to keep the meat loaf moist.  Water, milk, beef broth, catsup, barbecue sauce, tomato sauce or Worcestershire sauce are often used.

Margaret's Morsels | Sweet and Sour Meat Loaf

  • Binding:  These are the ingredients that keep the meat loaf from falling apart.  Eggs are traditionally used in combination with bread crumbs, oats, crushed crackers or uncooked packaged stuffing mix.

Margaret's Morsels | Sweet and Sour Meat Loaf


  • Seasonings:  You can season meat loaf with herbs and spices you like, but make sure whatever you use goes well with the rest of the ingredients.

Margaret's Morsels | Sweet and Sour Meat Loaf

These five elements are true of every meat loaf recipe I've ever tried. However, some recipes call for additional elements.
  • Filling:  Cheese or other ingredients are often placed in the middle of the meat loaf.  Half the meat mixture goes in the baking pan, the filling is added and then topped with the rest of the meat mixture.
  • Topping:  Toppings can range from as simple as a jar of brown gravy or a squirt of catsup, to bacon strips draped across the loaf, to a combination of ingredients that can be added at the beginning or towards the end of the cooking time.
No matter what ingredients you put in meat loaf, the best way to mix it up is with your hands.  It's messy, but it's the best way to tell when all the ingredients are combined.  This is important because you don't want to overmix the ingredients.  Overmixing produces a tough meat loaf.

Margaret's Morsels | Sweet and Sour Meat Loaf


Once the ingredients are combined, they can be baked in a square pan, loaf pan (regular or miniature), muffin tins or shaped by hand into an oval shape and baked in whatever size pan you have.  Depending on the size pan you use, you may need to increase or decrease the baking time.  I like to bake meat loaf in a 9-inch square pan.  When I serve it to company, though, I like to use a meat loaf pan.

Margaret's Morsels | Sweet and Sour Meat Loaf


A meat loaf pan is nothing more than a loaf pan with a removable rack.   The rack serves two purposes.  One, it allows the fat to drain from the meat while cooking.  Two, the handles on the rack make it easy to lift the meat loaf from the pan and transfer it to a serving platter. 

Margaret's Morsels | Sweet and Sour Meat Loaf


My friend's recipe doesn't use a filling, but it does use a delicious topping that is added the last 10 minutes of cooking.  The topping is made with tomato sauce, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, granulated sugar and Dijon mustard, but it can be customized to suit your taste.  If you want it sweeter, use more sugar; spicier, use more Dijon mustard.  Through trial and error, I found that we prefer the topping with less vinegar and granulated sugar than called for in the original recipe.

Sweet and Sour Meat Loaf is an easy recipe to make on a busy day, but also fancy enough to serve to company.  It's a nice comfort food to take someone who's had a baby, lost a loved one or, like my husband, is recuperating from surgery.

Sweet and Sour Meat Loaf
6 Servings

1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 cup oats (uncooked)
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Topping:

1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar (I use 1 Tbsp.)
1/2 cup sugar (I use 1/4 cup)
2 tsp. Dijon mustard

Combine meat loaf ingredients in a large bowl.  Mix well and put in a greased baking pan.  Bake at 350° for 50 minutes.  Combine topping ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil.  Pour over meat loaf and bake an additional 10 minutes.

© Margaret's Morsels

6 comments:

  1. You know, meatloaf is one of those things you either love or hate. Like you, my mothers meatloaf wasn't anything special, so I searched for just the right ingredients to make mine better. I have grown to love it. I have a solid recipe that my family really loves. My kids ask for it for their birthdays, so it must be good! hahaha For the past few years, I've been shaping it and making it on an oven broiler pan...sort of the same idea as your meatloaf pan. I am going to have to give this special topping a try next time I make meatloaf for my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Renee! Meat loaf is definitely one of those dishes you either love or hate. I hope your family will enjoy the topping. It is my favorite part of the recipe:)

      Delete
  2. It was a moist, succulent restaurant quality meatloaf that looked and sliced great and tasted great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! I'm glad you liked the meat loaf. It's definitely one of my 'go to' recipes. Thanks for writing!

      Delete