June 20, 2011

Dressing it Up

Pin It
Margaret's Morsels | French Dressing

When I was a child, the only salad dressing I liked was French dressing.  As I got older, I developed a more sophisticated palate.  I now eat a variety of dressings, including honey mustard, Italian and roasted red pepper to name a few.  I still like French dressing, but it is not one of my husband's favorites.  Unless we have company, a bottle of French dressing sits in the refrigerator for a long time.

To solve the problem of leftover French dressing, I decided to make my own.  This was harder than I thought since there are a lot of recipes for French dressing.  It took a few tries, but I finally found a recipe I like and my husband likes too.  It only makes a few servings so there's not a lot left over.

Unlike some recipes for French dressing, this one only uses six ingredients.  There's no chopping -- only measuring -- so it only takes a few minutes to prepare.  You can eat it the day it's made, but it's better made a day ahead of time so the flavors have time to blend.

Margaret's Morsels | French Dressing

Like many dressing recipes, this contains oil and vinegar.  The recipe specified vegetable oil which is an edible oil made from vegetables, nuts or seeds.  Canola, corn, olive, peanut, safflower and sesame are some of the vegetable oils available.  I always use canola for two reasons.  One, it's healthier than some oils.  Two, it doesn't have a strong flavor.

The recipe didn't specify a type of vinegar so I use apple cider vinegar.  Unlike distilled white vinegar that is extremely sour, apple cider vinegar has a fruit flavor.  Strongly flavored oil and vinegar can overpower the tangy sweet flavor of the dressing, so choose your ingredients accordingly.

Other than the ingredients, the only thing you need is a container with a tight fitting lid; I use a jar.  Put the ingredients in the container, seal and shake until the ingredients are thoroughly combined.  Store the dressing in the refrigerator, shaking well before use.

Margaret's Morsels | French Dressing

The dressing is easy to make and tastes so fresh, you won't want to use bottled French dressing again!

French Dressing
6 Servings

1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. vinegar
2 Tbsp. catsup
1/8 tsp. salt
dash of garlic powder

Combine ingredients in a container with a tight fitting lid; shake well.  Refrigerate any leftovers.

This is better made a day ahead of time.


© Margaret's Morsels

No comments:

Post a Comment