May 13, 2011

Skillet Sensation

Pin It
Margaret's Morsels | Hamburger Macaroni Casserole

I love recipes that are cooked in one pan.  Not only are they usually easy, clean up is minimal.  A lot of recipes claim they're one pan meals, but that's not always the case.  Sometimes there's an ingredient that needs to be cooked separately.  The recipe I'm sharing today -- Hamburger Macaroni Casserole -- is cooked from start to finish in one pan.  The only thing you need other than the ingredients is a large pan that has a lid; I use a 12-inch skillet.


Brown the ground beef in the pan and remove it to a bowl using a slotted spoon.  Normally, I drain the drippings when I cook ground beef.  However, two to three tablespoons of drippings need to stay in the pan.  If you have more drippings than that, discard the excess.


The reason this recipe is a one pan meal is the macaroni isn't cooked separately.  The uncooked macaroni goes into the drippings with the onion and green pepper and is cooked until the onion is soft.


Margaret's Morsels | Hamburger Macaroni Casserole
Cooking the macaroni, onion and green
pepper in the drippings.


The meat and remaining ingredients -- diced tomatoes, catsup, water, salt and pepper -- are added to the pan.  If you want a spicier casserole, substitute a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies for the diced tomatoes.  This is too spicy for me so I give the dish a little kick with a dash of cayenne pepper instead.


Put the lid on the pan and simmer for 25 minutes or until the macaroni is cooked as desired.  Stir the dish every 7 to 8 minutes to make sure the macaroni isn't sticking.  If the macaroni sticks, turn the heat down.


I like the casserole plain, but you can add cheese.  The cheese makes a pretty topping plus adds some flavor.  When the casserole's done, remove the pan from the heat.  Sprinkle shredded Cheddar or Mozzarella over the top and put the lid on the pan until the cheese melts.


If you want to make this a one dish meal, serve the casserole from the pan.  Add a salad and some garlic bread and you've got a meal that's not only a skillet sensation, but a taste sensation as well.



Margaret's Morsels | Hamburger Macaroni Casserole

Hamburger Macaroni Casserole
4 to 6 Servings

1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1 (8 oz.) pkg. elbow macaroni (uncooked)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 (14 1/2 oz.) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
1/2 cup catsup
1 cup water
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
shredded Cheddar or Mozzarella cheese to taste (optional)

Brown ground beef in large pan.  Remove beef from pan using a slotted spoon.  Discard all but two or three tablespoons of drippings from the pan. Put the uncooked macaroni, onion and green pepper in the drippings and cook until the onion is soft.  Return beef to the pan and add the remaining ingredients, except cheese.  Cover and simmer 25 minutes or until macaroni is cooked as desired, stirring every 7 or 8 minutes to keep macaroni from sticking.  If using cheese, add it when the casserole is done.  Remove the pan from heat.  Sprinkle cheese on top of the casserole and put the lid on the pan until the cheese melts.


© Margaret's Morsels

16 comments:

  1. Oh my, I'm gonna try this.. thank you fork sharing it.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Nancy! I hope you'll enjoy the casserole as much as we do. It's one of my go to recipes when time is short and appetites are large!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drop the catsup, add oregano, basil , cook diced garlic with burger, and you have a time tested recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We really enjoyed this casserole. I left out the cayenne pepper and added basil and a little turmeric. Will certainly make it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Althea! I'm glad you all liked the recipe! I'll have to try the basil and turmeric next time I make the casserole. I posted a goulash recipe last year. It's basically a hamburger macaroni casserole, but the ingredients and cooking method are different. If you want to check out that recipe, just click the following link: http://margaretsmorsels.blogspot.com/2012/12/beating-holiday-hustle.html

      Delete
  5. When I saw the above pic and the link on fb it looked so tasty that I got up and followed it! I see that the recipe ingredients list has ketchup and water on it, but then I don't see it anywhere in the instructions. Is it needed or not?

    ReplyDelete
  6. JustSteph: Yes, catsup and water are used in the recipe. When I write about recipes, I don't always talk about every ingredient, so just go with the ingredients and directions listed at the bottom of the page. Hope you enjoy the casserole. It's one of my favorite recipes ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, I'm sure I will! Also, sorry about the dumb question. I see the "add rest of ingredients" part now! d:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to find you, Margaret, through Ms En Place. Have signed up to follow via Bloglovin. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carole! Welcome! Thanks for following Margaret's Morsels via Bloglovin. I'm new to the site and don't know much about it yet. If I can figure out how to follow you back, I will!

      Delete
  9. Since I don't have a dishwasher, I can really, really appreciate a true one pot dish. And green onions are one of my favorite things. Thank you for sharing this easy, family-pleasing dish, Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thanks for the opportunity to share the recipe, Michelle! Cooking is enough work; no need to dirty everything in the kitchen when I cook:)

      Delete
  10. Amen! Thank goodness for the one-pan meal! This is a favorite of mine. Reminds me that I haven't had it in some time.

    New follower here from The Gathering Spot! :-)

    A Corso In The Kitchen
    http://corsointhekitchen.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a one pan meal, especially when it comes to cleanup! Thanks for following. I hope you'll look around and check out some of the other recipes. I'll stop by your page later today. Thanks!

      Delete
  11. Margaret, I used to make something just like this! We called it Beefy Cheesy Noodly Stuff hahaha - brings back good memories :o) It's a delicious and easy meal that everyone seems to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks! A reader once called it homemade Hamburger Helper, but much better! I love easy recipes and easy cleanup:)

    ReplyDelete