January 21, 2011

Breakfast Pizza

Pin It
Margaret's Morsels | Breakfast Pizza

When my husband and I met 25 years ago, he told me he liked Italian cheese toast for breakfast.  I soon discovered that his idea of cheese toast and my idea of cheese toast were different.  To me, cheese toast was a piece of bread covered with cheese and toasted until the cheese melted. To him, cheese toast was reheated leftover pizza!  I've never had Italian cheese toast for breakfast, but I have enjoyed Breakfast Pizza.

Breakfast Pizza starts with a precooked packaged pizza crust and is topped with traditional breakfast ingredients such as bacon, scrambled eggs and American cheese.  A wonderful aspect of the recipe is, like any other pizza, you can add whatever toppings you like.  Don't like bacon; substitute cooked sausage or ham.  Don't eat meat; try scrambled eggs with sauteed onions, green peppers and mushrooms.  You could even substitute another cheese -- Cheddar or Mozzarella -- for the American cheese.  Make sure whatever toppings you choose are fully cooked because the pizza is only in the oven long enough to crisp the crust and melt the cheese.

I love how a microwave cooks certain foods, such as corn-on-the-cob, popcorn and bacon.  When I microwave bacon, I use a specially designed tray called "Bacon Wave."  A nice feature of this tray is the bacon stays out of the grease.  This makes it healthier plus you can drain the grease and save it in a jar for other uses.  I know this defeats the purpose of healthier bacon, but Southerners love to season food with bacon grease.

Margaret's Morsels | Breakfast Pizza
The bacon in the Bacon Wave before being cooked.

Margaret's Morsels | Breakfast Pizza
The bacon after it's cooked.

While the bacon's cooking, scramble the eggs.  If you want fluffy scrambled eggs, add 1 tablespoon of milk or water for each egg you're using.  Once the eggs are cooked, spread them on the pizza crust. Sprinkle the cooked bacon on the eggs and add the cheese.

Margaret's Morsels | Breakfast Pizza

I bake the pizza on a pizza pan.  However, if you like a crisper crust, bake it directly on the oven rack.  If you choose to use a pizza pan, it's a good idea to remove the pizza from the pan before you slice it.  If you use a pizza wheel on a nonstick pan, you can ruin the nonstick finish.  I transfer the pizza to a cutting board and cut it into slices with a pizza wheel.  If you don't have a pizza wheel, an easy way to cut it is with a pair of kitchen scissors.

My son thought the pizza needed more cheese so he added some and melted it in the microwave.

Margaret's Morsels | Breakfast Pizza
The piece with extra cheese.

My husband likes the pizza, but he still enjoys Italian cheese toast for breakfast on occasion.  Of course, now that he's married, pizza isn't a staple in the refrigerator like it was when he was single!

Breakfast Pizza
6 to 8 Servings

6 eggs, beaten
1 (14 oz.) pizza crust (I used Boboli)
1/3 cup crumbled bacon
3 slices American cheese, cut into strips

Preheat the oven to 450°.  Spray skillet with nonstick cooking spray.  Heat the skillet on the stove top on medium-low.  Add the eggs and scramble until they reach the desired consistency.  Place the pizza crust on a pizza pan, if desired.  Spoon the scrambled eggs over the pizza crust; sprinkle the bacon over the eggs and add the strips of cheese.  Bake for 7 to 8 minutes, or until the crust is crisp and the cheese is melted.  Slice into pieces and serve hot.

© Margaret's Morsels











2 comments:

  1. Now this I am going to have to try! I am always looking for new breakfast ideas. Breakfast is my least favorite meal because I find it so boring. I have like four breakfast ideas that I like. So any "new" idea I run and print it off in a heartbeat! Definately going to pick up these ingredients this afternoon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're going to try the recipe, Brenda. It's really easy plus you can make it with whatever ingredients you like. It's good for supper too:)

    ReplyDelete