January 4, 2011

Baked not Fried

Pin It
Margaret's Morsels | Baked Salmon Patties

It's the beginning of a new year which means a fresh start; a clean slate; a "do over" so to speak.  It's also a time to reflect and make resolutions.  For many people, the resolution is to eat healthier.  If that's your resolution, or you're just looking for a new recipe to try, I've got a great recipe to share.


My mother fixed fried salmon patties, also known as salmon croquettes, at least once a month.  They were good, but not something I was interested in cooking when I moved away from home.  I liked the salmon patties, but I didn't like to fry food then and I don't like to fry food now either.  As far as I was concerned, salmon patties were a thing of the past, something to be enjoyed only when visiting my mother.


About 15 years ago, I found a recipe for Baked Salmon Patties.  The recipe doesn't use the same ingredients that my mother did, but they taste just as good and are healthier since they are baked not fried.  My husband loves them so I always double the recipe.  If I don't, there's not enough left over for another night!


The recipe calls for one 14 3/4 ounce can of salmon, but I substitute two 5 ounce cans of skinless, boneless salmon.  If you use the larger can, you'll need to remove the skin and bones.  That's not something I enjoy doing so I'm willing to pay extra for the task to be done for me.


In addition to salmon, the recipe uses an egg, milk, seasonings and, to bind everything together, fresh bread crumbs.  Fresh bread crumbs and dried bread crumbs are two different things and cannot be used interchangeably.  Fresh bread crumbs are made with slices of bread straight from the package.  Dried bread crumbs, on the other hand, are made from slices of bread that have been baked in the oven until dried and lightly browned.


You can make fresh bread crumbs with a blender or food processor, but I like to make them in a mini food chopper.  Since the mini food chopper is smaller, I can only process one piece of bread at a time.  I tear up the piece of bread, place it in the bowl of the food chopper and process it until it's fine crumbs.  Two slices of bread make approximately one cup of bread crumbs.  If I'm doubling the recipe, I use four slices of bread.

Margaret's Morsels | Baked Salmon Patties
One slice of bread before being processed.

Margaret's Morsels | Baked Salmon Patties
The bread after being processed.

To save time, I mix up the ingredients early in the day and store the covered container in the refrigerator until I'm ready to cook supper.
  
Unlike my mother's salmon patties that had to be shaped by hand, these salmon patties are baked in a muffin pan.  To ensure that each patty is the same size, I use a cookie scoop to measure the mixture, but you can use a 1/4 cup measuring cup instead.  This recipe makes eight salmon patties which means a 12-cup pan has four empty cups.  To prevent the pan from warping, put an ice cube in each empty cup before putting the pan in the oven.


Margaret's Morsels | Baked Salmon Patties
A double batch of salmon patties.  Notice the ice
cubes in the empty cups.

Margaret's Morsels | Baked Salmon Patties
The pan didn't warp.

I always serve the salmon patties with a package of long grain and wild rice and a vegetable.  Check my blog Friday to find a vegetable recipe that goes great with the salmon patties and is good for you too!


Baked Salmon Patties
4 Servings

1 (14 3/4 oz.) can pink salmon, drained, skin and bones removed or 2 (5 oz.) cans skinless, boneless salmon, drained
3/4 cup milk
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. dried minced onion
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Combine all ingredients; mix well.  Spoon into 8 greased muffin cups, using 1/4 cup in each.  Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until browned.

© Margaret's Morsels


6 comments:

  1. This looks great and I love that you baked them in the muffin pan.Thanks for sharing how you made this,I cant wait to try this.I came across your site from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this salmon patties widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about recipes for salmon patties,Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you'll like the recipe, Alisa. Thanks for the widgit and information about Foodista!!!!

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. 45 minutes in the oven is about 15 minutes too long....they dried out too much. I will use this recipe again, but just not leave the patties in the oven so long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. June, I'm glad you liked the recipe, but am sorry the patties were too dry. I hope the patties come out better the next time. Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made this and they were wonderful. Made cheese sauce to pour over. Really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked them! I've never tried using cheese sauce on these. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for writing!

      Delete